I go through my own checklist of things that need to be in order prior to the night before my first race of the season. As I prepped my own equipment, I made a list to share. My season opener is the Half Moon Bay Olympic Distance on Sunday, April 19th. I am looking forward to racing with USA Productions and all the athletes this weekend! When is your first race?
Some things to consider as you get ready:
- Is your transition bag cleared out from last year? If it still has stuff in it from last year… you might want to throw the contents in your neighbors trash can…
- Goggles: Check that the seal and strap of your race goggles didn’t get old from sitting for several months
- Wetsuit: Soak it before you put it on for the first time! Here are some guidelines to good wetsuit care as well: http://www.huubdesign.com.au/wetsuit-care
- Electrical tape: is it still sticky?
- Tri bike shoes: Is the Velcro still in good shape?
- Clean your bike. Check the tire treads, cogs, chain, brake pads. Bring your bike and wheels in for a check-up if needed.. a few weeks prior to your race
- Has your body glide dried out?
- Is your sunscreen old and needing a replacement?
- Speed laces: Don’t forget to put these on your shoes and run in them before the race
- Helmet: are the pads still in good condition? Is your race sticker still on your helmet from the last race you did last year… you might need a major scrubbing..!
- Make sure your cleats are good. It is always good to have a spare pair
- For really cold water swims, do you have a neoprene cap and/or booties? Try it out before the race to make sure it works for you.
As I re-pack my bag and check my equipment, I always make sure I have the following spares if I am traveling to a race:
-tires and tubes
-spare cassette and cassette changing tool
-extra goggle strap
-rear derailleur hanger
-extra kit (yes, I have heard of people’s zippers ripping race day)
Good luck and have fun! Hope to see you out there racing!